Sunday 21 April 2013

Pencil Jammers at Dakshina Chitra

Dakshina Chitra is a heritage village which showcases the art, architecture, crafts, culture, and traditions of South India. It is located on the Southern edge of Chennai on the coastal road to Mamallapuram (formerly known as Mahabalipuram). Dakshina Chitra is a very interesting place, well worth visiting for anyone, and in particular for tourists if they wish to experience a bit of many parts of South India in a short span of time without actually travelling to all the places.

My wife, daughter and I are frequent visitors but most of my sketch group friends from PencilJammers were visiting Dakshina Chitra for the first time. They were bowled over by all that was there to see and sketch, and decided that this was yet another place that the group had to visit regularly. You can see a small sample of it here.

Villages in South India have a guardian deity at the entrance to the village and in Tamilnadu this deity is known as Ayyanar. Dakshina Chitra too has an Ayyanar Temple for the benefit of its visitors and this is the place that we all met at. But while we were sketching the subjects of our choice, a procession of men in huge colourful masks accompanied by trumpeters and drummers swept past us. We were all very curious and followed them and found that this was a troupe from Karnataka (a neighbouring state in South India) who were there at Dakshina Chitra to perform a traditional masked dance.

The dance was very attractive and energetic and at the end of it the dancers took off their masks and rested for a while. Some of my friends sketched the dancers in motion and a few attempted quick portraits when they took a break. I chose to do a quick pen & ink sketch of the masks which the dancers had lined up on chairs while they rested.

After that we all went back to our orginal spots to continue on the sketches that we had started earlier. I made further progress on a sketch of the Ayyanar Temple which I had started earlier and then had to leave. I completed the sketch later that day at home.

4 comments:

  1. I have just been reading back through the past entries. I have missed quite a lot! Where have I been? Life gets busy. How I admire your work! It is so inspiring and reading your text encouraging. Best wishes my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. I am very grateful to you for visiting my blog and leaving such a nice comment. I too have been quite preoccupied with other stuff and have not been blogging regularly or visiting other blogs (which I used to do regularly). But I hope to resume all that now.

      Delete
  2. dear sir

    i am writing on behalf of DakshinaChitra - would love to feature your work in our newsletter - please do call 9940180605.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rhoda. I am glad that you like these sketches.

      Delete